Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Twelfth Night

Kayla DeFreitas
11/20/13



            Twelfth Night, or What You Will by William Shakespeare is about a love triangle that occurs when Viola dresses as Cesario and begins to work for the Duke of Illyria. The Duke loves Olivia, Olivia loves Cesario, and Viola/Cesario loves the Duke. During Acts III, IV and V, the characters realize who they love and showing who they truly are on the inside.
In the second half of the play, many events take place that causes the storyline to turn chaotic, such as a duel between Viola (who is dressed as Cesario) and Sir Andrew, and the marriage between Olivia and Sebastian (who is thought to be Cesario). Meanwhile, poor Malvolio is trapped in a dark room and is thought to be insane. After all of the craziness dies down, the truth comes out and the characters’ worlds are set straight once again.
            In Zen Meditation, one can look deeper into oneself and see who they truly are and how they truly feel. Meditation is a time when you can sit and reflect on your life and your choices. Although I find it hard to stay focused in meditation, this week I found myself thinking about who I am and how my life is going. I realized that I am very happy at Loyola as well as with the people I’ve met. I can see that I am growing up and becoming a more mature adult. Once you know who you truly are, you can show other people, and you will be happier and life will feel more fulfilling.

Once Viola tells the Duke who she really is, he realizes that he loves her too. He forgets about his infatuation with Olivia and focuses on his true love, Viola. Likewise, once Olivia finds out that Cesario is actually Viola, she realizes that she loves Sebastian, not Cesario.

The most interesting/surprising thing that I learned in class this semester was while I was doing the Transportation Assignment. It was eye opening to me to see how a true Baltimore citizen travels around the city. I am from a suburban town in Massachusetts, so I don't have the ability to take public transportation to get around. The only type of public transportation I've ever taken is a cab. It was interesting to learn how to take the bus by watching other people around me. When I finished the assignment, I felt like I had learned a lot about peoples' ways of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment