Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Fruitful Simplicity


Matt McIntyre
iExamen 1
Dr. Juniper Ellis

Fruitful Simplicity

After spending time away from all the things that you think make life easier, you begin to realize that they pollute your brain and occupy your mind and body. When you are given an opportunity to get away from this hectic cellular world and into a place of bliss, it must be enjoyed. Coming from a Jesuit school, this exercise was easy because I have grown accustomed to blocking out the outside world and going away to my eternal place of peace. Over time I have become less dependent on my devices, yet every now and again, the examen is useful to me for the purpose of remembering my place and my obligations to not over step my bonds and keep in touch with the real world. At this new place, I, sort of, just began to wander until I found my quiet zone. 
Stepping away became a lot easier for me, so this time around, putting my phone away to charge and leaving my dorm with nothing but the clothes I had on was not too concerning to me. I had nothing on my mind to worry of. As I got away, much like the first time, I am left with a blank mind with nothing to contemplate. As I sat there, I started to realize the little things in nature around me. I watched the drops of rain fall from the leaves protecting me and I thought of my actions in life. Was I acting like the leaves, which were protecting things and people, or was I the rain, trying to wiggle my way through the tree and wet, or distort, the people and things. I developed a line of thinking dating back to the last time I saw my family. I put into context all my actions during previous events, altercations, reunions, meetings, etc. Making a judgment is not that simple when your opinion is being altered and your thought process is being infected with technological distraction, but when I was alone in the woods behind campus, it was just my thoughts and I. I communicated all these ideas and I delegated amongst myself without using actual words. It all came from within. Sudden painful recollections of bad decisions and joyful rushes of the good things I’ve done all in one hour. I thought of my family, my friends, especially my little sister. I came to realize once again that ultimately, I am a good person with a kind heart and I always mean well regardless of the appearance of my deeds.
As I returned to the real world, I stayed quiet and reflective for a little while. I had to work the men’s soccer game Saturday evening and while standing alone for the entire game, I was not compelled to look at my phone. I kept reflecting throughout the entire night. Admittedly, I woke up the next morning much like any college student, sent out a tweet on Twitter, checked Facebook, texted a few people, but I remembered what I felt the night before.

No comments:

Post a Comment