Wednesday, September 25, 2013

The Art of Self-Analyzing


Lauren Pope

                                                              The Art of Self-Analyzing 
Jesuits strongly believe in self-assessing themselves, which, in the long run, helps them better themselves and their appreciation for God. When performing the self-analysis for myself, I noticed things about myself that I would never have noticed. I found myself having trouble with not being able to have access to technology for an hour and trying to think of how I act around others, but in the long run I found things about myself that I never noticed.
            Occasionally I like to think about my actions and how they may affect those around me on a daily basis.  I notice how sometimes, when in a bad mood, I have a problem taking it out on those who are close to me. On the other hand when in a good mood I like to go out of my way to say hello to friends I pass and maybe even have a conversation with them.  Having gone through counseling myself, I always think about my moves and actions. I know what to do when I’m upset or angry to make myself more joyful and outgoing. It’s helped me become a more outgoing person towards others. Instead of keeping to myself, I know that being outward towards people makes me the happiest in the long run. Feeling like I have friends who care about my life and are willing to say hello to me really make me feel like it’s worth it. 
            Having gone to an all girls’ Catholic high school, I have learned to appreciate the things that God has given us.  When unplugging myself from the real world, I finally had time to think on my own and reflect on the great things I have in my life.  Technology is such a huge aspect of my life and I didn’t realize it until I was away from it for an hour.  In a way I feel disconnected from the world without technology. I’m not sure how I would have been able to survive without technology if I had lived in the past. I use it to text friends, email professors, check the photos of my friends and so much more.  While not being able to have this ability at my fingertips, I was able to go outside and enjoy nature. I tried thinking as a Jesuit would about nature and how beautiful God’s creation really is.  I realized technology does pull us away from the ability to appreciate all the world has to offer. After this experience I will definitely consider cutting down on my technology usage.
            Before doing the iExamen, I thought that I wouldn’t have much to think or analyze about myself. The whole day I thought about what each of my roommates had said to me or asked of me. They know me best and aren’t afraid to tell me if I’m in a bad mood or not. After, I realize I need to check my attitude and what I am saying and instead ask them how can I help.  After interacting with my roommates for a little over a year, I feel I can say that they have become the sisters I never had. I help them with things like makeup and we all borrow each other’s clothes. In our apartment any closet is an open closet to borrow from. One major thing I realized over this self-assessing is that I am an outgoing person and that’s how others view me as well.
            When doing the homework assignment I felt that I was able to build upon some of the traditional Jesuit techniques.  These techniques really helped me analyze the way that I interact with others, nature and technology. As a result I have learned from this and hope to change some of my flaws to become a better, well-rounded person. 

No comments:

Post a Comment